HACKS FOR SEWING
I’ll show you how to make basic sewing stitches: running stitch, backstitch, split stitch, french knot and chain stitch.
I’ll also show you how to make beautiful yet very simple embroidered flowers, such as rose, dandelion, lazy daisy, hyacinth, satin flower and chamomile.Stay creative and have fun!
I think you really need these simple sewing hacks in your life! Find out how to hide unexpected holes in your favorite jeans, make basic embroidery stitches, make the cutest pom poms mat possible, learn how to create portable pincushion, deal with stubborn pin, create simple dress patterns and a lot more great tips for amateur designers! Stay tuned, there’s so much good stuff!
HOW TO MAKE A MANNEQUIN WITH YOUR MEASUREMENTS
Are you interested in making your own clothing, but don’t want to buy an expensive mannequin? Are you having problems finding a mannequin with dimensions similar to your own? This fun project will cost less than $50, and will only take a few hours to complete. It will allow you to make a personalized mannequin with supplies found in the average household.
1 fitted t-shirt
1-2 rolls of high-strength duct tape (Professional Strength Duct Tape works well)
8-12 sheets of paper towels
Stuffing (We used cotton stuffing, but you can use anything similar)
Two 2’x2’ cardboard sheets
Hanger (A metal hanger would be best)
– Put the fitted t-shirt on the person you wish to size your mannequin to.
– Extend the t-shirt using paper towels to right below the hips and up to the neck (like a turtle neck). Tape the paper towels to the bottom and top of the t-shirt. They can be taped either to the inside or outside of the shirt.
You will need a friend to help you starting on this step of the project.
– Start taping under the bust.
Make a tight circle all the way around the body.
– Tape an “X” from shoulder to bust.
This will ensure definition of the chest.
– Tape up the rest of the shirt using long horizontal strips from the bottom to the top. Make sure not to make bumps or creases in the tape. If bumps occur try to smooth them out, otherwise you’ll need to restart from Step 2.
Avoid puffing out the chest or sucking in the gut. This will alter the shape of your body, and ultimately the fit of your clothing.
Try to keep the tape horizontal so that overlapping does not distort the body.
– Using scissors, have your friend help you cut a straight line down the middle, back of the duct tape. Cut both the shirt and the tape.
Warning: Be extra careful not to cut the model with the scissors!
5:21 Easy solution
9:22 Rubber bands hack
14:14 Working apron
Source: 5-Minute Crafts